Friday, October 16, 2015

Tricks and Treats Blog Hop



Welcome to the Tricks & Treats Blog Hop, hosted by The Elementary Entourage! This is my first post since joining & I am so excited to be blogging with all the amazing teachers who already contribute to the blog! 
One of favorite teaching tricks is using stickers during writing workshop to get our creative minds working. So often my student get 'stuck' when trying to draw or sketch a picture for writing because they just don't know how to get started. 


I read aloud The Adventures of Beekle by Dan Santat. Click the link or picture to grab your copy on Amazon.


I got these puffy monster eye stickers at Walmart for just $2 for 30 pairs of eyes! I like how each pair is different and lends itself to a different creation. 


I put one pair of eyes on blank white construction paper before starting the lesson. 


How cute are these puffy eyes with lashes?!


The kiddos really loved the silly eyes!


 After we finished the read aloud I passed out the drawing paper so each student could see which pair of eyes they would be working with as a starting point, I had each student close their eyes and imagine their monster, then we did a short little turn & talk with our partner to describe our monsters before going to our desks to get started.


With a plan in mind, they started drawing as soon as they got to their desks. 



Cats are a big deal this year in first grade, we love everything cats. So we had several catlike monsters.



They came up with the best monsters, I love when my students have a chance to express their creativity through art and writing in the classroom! Here are a few of the finished products: 





After we finished creating our monsters, we wrote about them. The kiddos wrote all kinds of funny things that there monsters eat, where they live, which other monsters they are friends with, & what hobbies their monsters have. 


My kiddos LOVE when I customize their writing paper to match their creative products so I made this little "Meet My Monster" sheet for them to do their writing on. 




Now time for the treat, freebie of my "Meet My Monster" writing paper (English & Spanish)! You could use googly eyes, have the students draw their own eyes, or grab a pack of stickers for your own class at Walmart! 


Click the picture to grab your treat!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic


5 comments:

  1. What a creative idea with those eye stickers!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely so fun and creative! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great way to bring creativity and excitement back into writing! Sometimes it can be like pulling teeth ;)

    Love the ideas!
    Amber
    PeppyZestyTeacherista

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the Meet My Monster project you created. The worksheet is adorable and I love how creative the kids get to be by just getting a set of eyeballs. I'm glad that you are a part of our EE blog!!
    Tickled Pink in Primary

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...