Monday, November 02, 2015

Election Day Poetry

I love teaching my students how they can make decisions, being independent, and how these skills can help us for the rest of our lives. That is one of the reasons I love teaching about Election Day! 


Election Day is only one day, but teaching about it takes much longer because it is a rather new concept for primary students. I wrote this poem last year so I could integrate a short discussion about Election Day all week long during reader's workshop. 


We read it for fluency practice & identify social studies vocabulary, sight words, grammar concepts, and phonics concepts each day for about ten minutes. 


On Fridays, we glue the half sheet into our word study notebooks on the right side and do a full page illustration on the left side. This helps me quickly see who got a grasp on the finer points of the poem content. 



You can grab your mini anchor chart & differentiated student poem sheets here! Happy Election Day y'all! 
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...