Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Books Teachers Love {On the Same Day in March}



Welcome back to another month of Books Teachers Love! I cannot believe I am planning for March already! This year has been such a whirlwind! 


I picked "On the Same Day in March" by Marilyn Singer as my book this month. 
 
march read aloud, weather, on the same day in march,
 

Teaching in Texas sometimes makes it difficult to teach about weather and seasons. More than once I've found myself trying to help my students understand that leaves change colors and YES snow is real. Haha!
 
march read aloud, weather, on the same day in march,
 
 
 
 
On the Same Day in March will take your students on a world tour while describing the weather all along the way!
 


 

 I LOVE that the book covers three subjects in one read aloud, perfect for the short month of March!To set the stage I usually hang up my HUGE whiteboard map that I keep propped in the corner of my classroom behind the door, the kids never know what it is and are always so surprised when I pull it out and hang it up for the first time each year!



I usually read it right after Dr.Seuss celebration has ended and before I break out the St. Patrick's Day books.  
march read aloud, weather, on the same day in march,  
 
 I read the first page and show the kids where it says "On the same day in March..." and teach them to read that part chorally on each page. It just helps keep them engaged and following the text, its a bit longer than the normal read aloud I would select!

march read aloud, weather, on the same day in march,
 
Thinking about all the different types of weather in the different places sets the students up to practice drawing conclusions. We stop a TON during the read aloud to find places on the map & THINK aloud about how the weather is different all over the world. We use the thinking stem "I notice..." during the lesson to help frame our conversations.

  The kiddos love learning that people all over the world have different weather on the same day! Such a neat book to help expand kids thinking! 

To grab the book on Amazon, click here!
 
 
Keep hopping to find even more fantastic March read aloud planning ideas & freebies below!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
march read aloud, weather, on the same day in march,


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...